The Union for African Population Studies (UAPS) is pleased to announce the call for applications for the 2022/2023 cohort of the African Research and Data (AfRes-Data) Fellowship. The fellowship aims to build the capacity of early career researchers (ECRs) in Africa to undertake and disseminate research in population and development issues, while offering them the opportunity to showcase their research on highly visible platforms such as regional conferences and in peer-reviewed journals including the African Population Studies journal. The fellowship is expected to contribute to producing a critical mass of highly skilled, locally trained scholars in research and policy engagement across Africa. In total, an initial cohort of 20 ECRs will be selected in 2022.
Applicants must be:
- Be African or hold permanent residence in any African country
- Male applicants should be under the age of 40, and up to 45 years for female applicants
- Candidates enrolled in PhD at African universities
- Recent doctoral graduates (within three years of graduation by time of application)
- Conducting research on population and development issues in Africa including Family Planning (FP) or Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) issues
- Be a UAPS member
- Training, focusing on research design, research methods, data collection and
- analysis, scientific writing, grant writing, and how to get published.
- A grant of up to $2,500.00 for a research project on FP or SRHR issues in Africa
- Networking and linkages to mentors in research institutions in the field of population and development
How To Apply
Eligible candidates should submit the following:
- Provide proof of citizenship or permanent residence in Africa
- A motivation letter stating why they wish to participate in this programme
- An updated resume with a full list of educational and other professional activities
- Two recommendation letters with referees contact details
- At least one should come from a faculty member with strong knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance (One of the dissertation advisors or supervisor)
- Up to 3 pages concept note of your proposed research project on FP/SRH issues in Africa
- An explanation of how you intend to use the grant (include a budget and narrative)
Applications must be submitted in English or French. Application forms, programme
information, and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) can be found on the UAPS website
Successful applicants will be required to participate in two training workshops that will focus on research design and methods, grant writing and management, data analysis and scientific writing. The workshops will be followed by a mentorship programme where fellows will be matched with senior researchers from the UAPS membership as parts of efforts to further consolidate research and writing skills. Successful applicants will also be given a research grant of up to $2,500.00 to further their research (e.g., field research and other research materials such as laptop, specialized software, or books, etc.) and receive assistance regarding paper submissions to conferences such as those organized by UAPS, IUSSP, Population Association of America (PAA), and other relevant seminars.
Application Deadline: 17th May 2022
Shortlisting of candidates: End of May 2022
Notification of enrollment: June 2022
Fellowship commences: 18th June 2022
This fellowship is possible through funding provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.