Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Adolescent & Youth SRHR Advisor
Worldwide Locations: we are seeking a person based in the continents in which Pathfinder mainly operates, namely Africa —with a preference in Francophone countries.
The adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and rights (AYSRHR) Advisor supports technical strategy, program design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation & learning (MEL) and ensures technical quality of Pathfinder’s AYSRHR programs and projects. They should be passionate about expanding sexual and reproductive health and rights to young people globally. They will work closely with the AYSRHR Sr. Technical advisor as well as Pathfinder’s other technical advisors, global colleagues, country and programs staff, and partners to support the AYSRHR programming. The position will play a key role in advancing Pathfinder’s AYSRHR strategy and support the design, implementation and evaluation of programs. The position requires someone with sound technical knowledge, an appetite for learning and collaborating, and solid programmatic experience. The position will directly contribute to business development by supporting proposal development, donor engagement, and/or advocacy related to resource mobilization.
Key Job Outcomes:
- Driving technical excellence: Supports project and country teams to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate client-centered AYSRHR programs that are solidly grounded in global evidence and meaningful youth engagement. Ensures AYSRHR is maintreamed across Pathfinder activities, as appropriate.
- Strengthening AYSRHR programming: Provides remote and in-country technical assistance to build the AYSRHR capacity of in-country teams, as well as program partners and government partners. Keeps abreast of the latest evidence on AYSRHR (and adolescent and youth empowerment, as needed) and disseminate across the organization and externally.
- Resource Development: Works with the Senior AYSRHR Technical Advisor and Pathfinder team to develop, review, and roll out tools, resources and trainings to improve AYSRHR programming.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL): Works closely with MEL team to monitor and evaluate AYSRHR program/services impact , capture performance and results and promotes the use of data for decision-making to strengthen programs
- Reporting and Communications: Provides accurate and timely reporting and updates on the AYSRHR programs’ and projects’ progress and difficulties.
- Engagement: Supports Sr. Technical Advisor on AYSRHR, technical team and country staff to cultivate and strengthen positive, productive relationships with donors, partners, Ministry of Health and other governmental agencies so that Pathfinder International is consistently viewed as a thought leader and as an effective implementing partner in meeting and achieving AYSRHR targets. Represents Pathfinder in relevant AYSRHR interagency working groups and international conferences.
- Business/Proposal Development: Directly contributes to Pathfinder’s proposals, including responses to competitive bids to ensure appropriate AYSRHR technical content, strategy and activities are included. Contributes to the design and planning of innovative, effective, country appropriate projects. Writes, reviews, and/or and edits technical proposals.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Global Health System: Deep knowledge of SRHR ecosystem with the global health and community engagement context, with a focus on AYSRHR.
- Program and Project Planning and Management: Deep skills in program and project management and planning to fulfill performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Adolescent and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Programs and Services: Strong up-to-date knowledge of adolescent development, family planning and reproductive health principles, policies, and programmatic practices and services, including program strategies and monitoring frameworks , and the latest professional developments in AYSRHR, including related issues such as child marriage, adolescent pregnancy, comprehensive sexuality education, youth participation and leadership.
- Technical Assistance: Proven skills in providing short-term technical assistance to complex health and development programs.
- Interpersonal skills: Skilled in developing productive relationships with varied stakeholders, including colleagues, partners, governments and clients.
- Self-awareness and personnel development: Committed to growing as a leader and as a professional.
- Presentation Skills: Proven ability to communicate effectively on a range of topics related to AYSRHR to small and large groups.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Flexibility, Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to thrive in a matrix organization, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: Demonstrated commitment to adolescent sexual and reproductive health, safe abortion, family planning, gender, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
- Languages: Proven writing and speaking skills using French and English languages. Other language skills welcome.
- Community Relations: Experience in facilitating working relationships between partners, government officials, and communities.
- Software Applications: Working knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related matters.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Fluency in written and spoken French is essential
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, business, marketing, social science or related discipline
- 5-10 years’ providing youth-focused technical assistance and support to health (preferably SRH) programs in multiple developing countries
- 5-10 years’ professional experience in family planning and safe abortion programming with a strong focus on AYSRHR.
- Experience working in Francophone countries, experience in Pathfinder countries a plus (currently specifically Burkina, Burundi, DRC, Cote d’Ivoire, Niger, and Togo) and a strong knowledge of Francophone countries’ health systems.
- Job location – we are seeking a person based in the continents in which Pathfinder mainly operates, namely Africa and South Asia—with a preference in Francophone countries.
- Travel required (at least 25%)
- Successful candidate must have the ability to work at home.
- There are no relocation benefits attached to this role
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.
To apply, please click here